Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Video Game Stereotypes

There are different views of video games, from a wonderful stress-reliever to an addictive moral wrong, but most people seem to push towards the middle. Most researchers go into the dangers of addiction to these interactive platforms, making most of what you hear on the news or in scholarly circles negative. Most video game enthusiasts think it's a wonderful way to unwind. Many people who've never played video games on their own don't understand why people do it and either don't understand the "addiction" or think it's no big deal. I'd like to address all of these with a little spin from my own experience.

I last posted with an inclusion of an article from a website that is entirely devoted to video game addition (see intro to MY gaming)  This article mentioned a study done by Brigham Young University regarding gaming and how it can effect families and individuals, but the website houses many other tools, such as how to spot addiction and how to aid it. One feature is a list of the most addictive video games: http://www.video-game-addiction.org/most-addictive-video-games.html

Although I personally see video game addiction as a real problem, many do not agree. For me, video games were an escape - still are sometimes - and I would play them for hours during the summer when I had few obligations. It wasn't necessarily a problem until it started affecting my behavior (again, see my previous post regarding Warcraft). It has also caused problems recently for me in the form of the newer Zelda games - for the wii. I would play those games even with family in town that I'd desperately missed because I just had to continue in the game. Remember, I was never severe enough to be addicted, and I only did it for fun, but it severely detracts from my life when I allow it.

When I've talked to friends about video game addictions, I've received different answers based on their video game history. Those who argued that video games are no problem are the heaviest video game users of the bunch, while those who don't really play them much see that it could be a problem. My first responder told me just months ago - when trying to stop his "addiction" to video games, going so far as to ask friends and family to hide and/or destroy his console - that it really did mess him us and suck the life out of him. He now plays regularly.

This all brought me to believe that because video games are not inherently evil, gamers cannot see the dangers when deeply involved. When we take a step back, however, the situation is telling.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment