Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Us, remade

As a child, I was never really one for the "classics." I definitely read a few compound classics in elementary school, and loved the stories, but I stuck to wolf books, primarily; awkward, I know. :) I never even considered English as a major until my Junior year in college when I panicked about taking a mammalogy class (I would have to memorize all the mammals, including their prints and colorings). But really, how could I not have decided earlier? The only thing I've been truly passionate about (except perhaps dogs and my family) is reading.

Now, don't get me wrong. Novels were the bane of my existence until my best friends, Emily Heiss and Hannah Morse, practically forced me to read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Suddenly, there was a world beyond my own, one I could live in while still physically living in this world. The classics didn't even appear on my radar until high school, however. What sparked a change, you might ask?

Pride and Prejudice...the adaptations and multiple BBC reproductions got me excited about a different age, a time when values were different and good writing could span the centuries.

Here's the thing, without our modern, digitized, world, I would have never made it this far. The Jane Austen movies have sparked my interest far more than the books could ever do alone, especially when they have a modern spin. We have the LDS Pride and Prejudice, Clueless; then there are the Shakespeare adaptations: 10 Things I hate about you, She's the Man, West Side Story, and more.

I know many young children, and plenty of adults, who wont find an interest in a book unless it's a movie first, or someone gives it a good review on Goodreads.com or some other media form. Our modern, digital, world has led to greater art and experience. It has showed people a richer, more vibrant part of our past. What has it done for you, and what will it do in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment