Monday, November 12, 2012

Collaboration Nation



I've always loved to hear, read, watch, and create stories, no matter the subject matter; although, I've always gravitated more towards chic flick stories and fantasy. The only "job" I've ever really felt that I could thoroughly enjoy is writing, but I've little talent for it. Because of this, I quickly linked collaboration with writing during our classes. This sparked the idea that some of us have been seeking: Collaborative Fiction.

Now, it's been a fantastic journey, and I've enjoyed the concept, but I'd like to focus on some of the difficulties today - like always, I'll focus on the positive aspect next time. We started out simply hoping to bring authors together in an easy environment where they can write without the stress of creating an entire novel. We had thought that many people would jump at the chance...

Sadly, that is not the case. I've learned that many people don't want to write for a novel that is not entirely their own idea. We may feel invested in it, but most people I've spoken to love the idea but don't care for the effort. No matter how we emphasize the ease in writing for the project, too many say they have no time.

Another set back is related: because so few have had genuine interest, we have had to reschedule our deadlines multiple times and push back dates. We had to write segments as well as our writers, but really can't do any more if we want to maintain the project's integrity. I've struggled with having to depend on third parties when I just want to finish the project, but the only thing I can do is involve others. I've had friends express interest, but only two have officially committed.

It's been frustrating and stressful, but worth it. There are plenty of positives about the project, and I've loved working on it, but collaboration does demand a certain mindset. It's not for the faint of heart. Collaboration means depending on others to do what you could do merely to create unity. It involves trust and flexibility; two traits severely lacking in this day and age.

Next time: why I've LOVED our project...

No comments:

Post a Comment